Happy New Year and healthy 2018
Yes, it’s that time of year when people make New Year Resolutions.
As they are usually to do with health, you might be surprised that whether you have made one or not, is not important to me. Why? Because I know that most people who set one, break it before the end of the month.
The 3 reasons I think most New Year resolutions are broken is because:
- They are not necessarily congruent with our values
- They are often based on what other people think we should do.
- Though they might help us reach a set goal, they are laden with rules, regulations and often everything but fun!
I don’t have a New Year resolution, but if you want to take steps to a better life, here is an idea of what you could do.
What is important to me, is to take time to become clear about what our values are. Then it becomes clear what steps to take to live by them.
If one of your top three values is health, like mine is, then when you are making decisions about what to eat or what to do, for example, you have clarity as to whether it will serve you and therefore live congruently.
I have my values that I live by. We all have different combinations of them and a short version of what mine are, look something like this.
What matters to me is to do things that are:
1) Good for my health. (why I do at least swimming, pilates or yoga every week)
2) Sustainable in the long term and does not inflict pain or strain on my body so I can do it in my 90’s if I want to. ( why I would not do a marathon for example)
3) Give me freedom to be me and do things how I want or in my time frame. (Hence why I am self employed)
4) When I do them it is fun, enjoyable and I feel good.
I have found something that fits all these criteria, which is why I love it so much. It is a form of mindful movement meditation called ‘5 Rhythms‘ developed by Gabrielle Roth. You have fun and can be just who and how you are, not withstanding the fact it is good for your physical, mental and emotional health.
Here are the details of the first 2 if you would like to join me and I wish you a happy healthy 2018.
Booking is essential to avoid disappointment as places are limited to 16.
Dates: 21st Jan 2018 and 18th March 2018. More to follow later in the year.
Vehenue: Liddington Village hall, Nr Swindon SN4 0HB Free parking. Just 5 min from J15 of the M4
Teachers: Gay Murphy www.joyfuldance.co.uk or Dean Kayum or Irem Luqman
Time: 2pm to 5pm
Value: £20 Early bird £18, on the day £22, Book 2 places get £2 off
Booking: email me to let me know how many places you want to book and how you are paying so I can reserve your place.
Cheque: payable to Julie Nicholls sent to Natural Therapy Centre, 5 Bibury Road, Swindon, SN3 1DD
Transfer: Miss J K Nicholls, Lloyds Bank, Old Town, Swindon branch, Sort code 30-98-41 Acc No 00354423
Feel the joy of a flowing life.
A short video about what 5 Rhythms has to offer
The facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mindfulmovementspace/
More info: www.body-mind-coaching.co.uk Julie@body-mind-coaching.co.uk 01793495551