‘5 Rhythms’, a form of mindful moving meditation!
– Would you like to be more at peace with yourself?
– Fancy being able to navigate the chaos of life more easily?
You like to dance, have fun and not be judged!
If so, this is for you…join us …
- No partner or previous experience of dance needed,
- all are welcome young, old, fit or unfit.
- No steps to learn and nothing to get right or wrong and no judgement from the teacher. You dance at your level.
“Movement is my medicine, my meditation, my metaphor and my method, a living language we can rely upon to tell us the truth about who we are, who we are with, and where we are going. There is no dogma in the dance”. – G.Roth.”
An Invitation to Explore the 5Rhythms’ Conscious Movement Practice in three Sessions. An opportunity to dance through the rhythms in good company, beginning with the basics, diving deeper into the beat and on the way, finding your own dance; expressive and unique.
27th Oct 19: All about you; your body, your dance.
We will cover the basics of the 5Rhythms: the wave that provides the foundation and grounds a dance, the different beats and how if we let go of goals, expectations and self judgement we can begin a conscious expressive dance of relationship with our physical self.
1 Dec 19: You and Me
Diving Deeper into the practice.
Working with the space between us; how do we move from self to connection with another.
9 Feb 20: All of Us
A Celebration of “me, you and us”
Exploring how a group affects our dance and how connections are made in in company; Working with the space we find for ourselves in this situation
What are the the five rhythms
We go through the 5 rhythms so that you can begin to feel them in your own way.
You are then be encouraged to “FLOW” for yourself, followed by allowing the beat to take you into “STACCATO”, then to move into “CHAOS” with curiosity; next, to drop into “LYRICAL” and find that part of yourself that wishes to sing and embrace everything and finally to find peace and quiet in “STILLNESS”.
DISCOVER HOW CONSCIOUS MOVEMENT CAN HELP YOU TO BE MORE AT PEACE AND COMFORTABLE WITH THE RHYTHMS THAT RULE YOUR LIFE…
As we go through the 5 Rhythms, we focus on being conscious of what is present for us in the moment and how our movement is affected by our thoughts and our feelings. At the same time, we will explore, how each rhythm has its’ own flavour and also each session is an exploration into being mindful and in the present.
We look for the “sweet spot”, the place where we feel wholly together in body, feelings and mind; together with another, the group and the setting. Searching for this combination of the whole self, and repeating the dance as we feel it, can lead into that energetic space where there is only the beat, your breath, your heartbeat and the space to be you.
It is not about how well you or anyone else performs.
As Dr. William W. Purkey said:
“sing …as if no one is listening
dance …as if no one is watching
love …as you’ve never loved before
live …as if heaven is here on earth”
If you want to do that, then dare to be brave and join us
The music is different each time and is a mix of: electronica, jazz, classical, pop, rock and roll, alternative, some fast some slow.
Places are limited, book now, in this form to avoid disappointment.
Venue: Liddington Village hall, Swindon SN4 0HB with plenty of free parking. http://liddington.org/wp/hall2/
Date: 27th October 2019, 1st December 2019 and 9th February 2020
Also see our events list
Time: 2pm to 5pm
- £20 early bird by 7st October: £18
- Book 2 places (either 2 workshops or 2 people): £2 off
- Book all 3 workshops: £3 off the total
- On the day £22 cash per person
Early bird 2 people booking for all 3 events £99
Can’t make the date and want to be kept informed of the next event subscribe here
Booking: places are limited to 16 so book now as to avoid disappointment. Fill this form to reserve your place. Payment details will then be sent to you. For more details contact Julie on 01793 495551
Teacher: Gay Murphy says:
I am a 76 year old grandmother who first found 5Rhythms® twenty five years ago. I immediately fell in love with this practice; it was as if my three year old self was reborn and with her ability to move and dance from within without restraint or self consciousness. Long years of being physically tied up in knots, awkward and shy fell away as I gradually let go of the inhibitions and literally ‘loosened up’ in all manner of ways. I am passionate about teaching conscious dance practice; to encourage others to find the ground under their feet and let their wings fly!
When I stand in a hall, I aim to look for simplicity as in;
- Not too much teaching,
- Respect for each student who shows up and allows themselves be moved,
- Courage for myself to let go and adapt my planned teaching at any time to what is going on in the room;
- The confidence to listen to my instincts and to act on them.
- Encouragement and inspiration to the people who have turned out on a cold night!
Surrounding and supporting my teaching is my enthusiasm for these practices and how it touches my heart every time I teach and witness what happens on the dance floor.
On the day:
- Wear loose comfortable clothes; layers to remove as you warm up and put back on as you cool down.
- Dance in comfortable shoes or bare foot as socks are too slippery on the wood floor.
- Bring some water.
More about what 5 Rhythms can do for you:
- Dancing out of depression with 5 Rhythms classes article from the daily echo.
- What it did for me and why I stared running sessions in Swindon in the evening advertiser article; dance your way to freedom and on my blog about 5 Rhythms events
- Shall We Dance? Science Says ‘Go on, It’s Good for You’
Studies have started to emerge on the positive impacts community dance activity can have on different populations, across a range of issues. Huffington Post
- Dancing to happiness BBC programme with Darcey Bussell
Join: Mindful Movement Space Facebook group to keep up with other dates and similar events.